Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Avocado Bagel

Ooh, hooray! One of the avocados I bought on Saturday was ripe today. So I got to make one of my very favorite lunches, Avocado Bagel!



This here is one Everything Bagel, toasted, with fresh avo smooshed on. You just cut your avocado in half lengthwise, remove the pit, and scoop out the good stuff with a spoon. Then put half on each half of the bagel & smoosh it with the back of the spoon so it's kind of spready. Sprinkle some salt and pepper, and ta-da, delicious lunch! I LOVE IT!

Hardest part: Choosing a good avocado. I never buy ripe ones at the store, because they're too likely to be bad when you need them. I buy them in advance of when I'll need them & let them ripen at home. I also always buy more avocados than I need - right now I have 2 bagels in my fridge, so I bought 3 avocados because you never know when one won't be good - they are so mysterious with their opaque rinds! If I end up with an extra good avocado, I mash it with some lemon juice, salt & pepper for a quick guacamole snack.

No comments: