Saturday, February 24, 2007

Rice Dish

Oh Rice Dish, I love you so. You're a versatile and delicious way to use the spinach that's been in the freezer just a smidge too long and the can of artichoke hearts I've been storing on the counter because I have crap cupboard space. Not enough spaghetti sauce in the jar for a whole bowl of spaghetti? Rice Dish, you welcome the spaghetti sauce. Slightly freezer-burned veggie burgers? Rice Dish says bring 'em on.

Here's today's Rice Dish:



It included:

3 cups (cooked) Trader Joe's Rice Medley (Brown rice, black barley, & daikon radish seeds. Trader Joe, can we talk for a sec? Please come to the Quad Cities. I love you as much as I love Rice Dish. I'm not in Chicago often enough to satisfy the Trader Joe's jones. Please, please, we need you.)
1 can petite diced tomatoes
1 can artichoke hearts, chopped
1 box frozen spinach, thawed & drained
1 package Morningstar Farms Chik'n Strips

I love dishes where you get all your essential food groups in one bowl. And Rice Dish is so kickass. Pretty much any vegetable is going to work, and you can add pretty much any protein (various fake meats, chopped hardboiled eggs, tofu, cheese, seitan, etc.). I usually season with Lemon Pepper (I did with this one), but sometimes I go for vegetable broth powder (sparingly) instead.

Oh yeah, the instructions are: mix them all up in a big bowl. Yay!

Rice Dish, I'm inviting you over again soon.

No comments: